Milltown of Rothiemay lies on the banks of the River Deveron near Huntly in the presbytery of Strathbogie, Morayshire.
The village was home to the famous 17th century cartographer James Gordon (1617-1686) and instrument maker and astronomer, James Ferguson (1710-1776). From a humble background James herded cattle as a boy and cleaned clocks. At night he sat and mapped the stars with stretched thread and beads. Self-taught he became a foremost astronomer of the time.
Once there was a working mill after which the village was named, a castle and an ancient kirk. There was also an ancient inn, the Blind ale house, near to Rothiemay House. Today there is the Forbes Arms.
The cast iron bridge over the River Deveron dates from the 19th century and the ironwork – railings and spans – were manufactured by James Abernethy of Aberdeen.