The ancient village of Rosemarkie on the Black Isle is known for its long sandy beach with a series of interesting caves at one end and Chanory Point which attracts huge numbers of visitors to watch pods of dolphins which inhabit the water that separates Rosemarkie from Fort George, east of Inverness.
A significant centre of Pictish art in the 8th and 9th centuries there are displays and interpretations of this period in Groam House museum on the High Street.
Christianity arrived in the 6th century and the village has been a centre of Christianity ever since. King David had the first cathedral of Ross built in Rosemarkie in the middle of the 13th century before it was moved to Fortrose nearby. The present time was built in 1821 and stands proud of the village when viewed from the beach.
The Knights Tempars also resided in Rosemarkie at Temple Croft.
Flax growing for making into linen and salmon fishing were once important to the area. The old ice house near the tennis courts is now locked up.
The red stone of Rosemarkie’s houses is old red sandstone. The cliffs there still populated by rooks and jackdaws (which give natives of Rosemarkie their nickname of Kaes -pronounced kyaas). The Fairy Glen just before the Cromarty road takes walkers through trees to a waterfall and pond at the end of a short walk.